Sugar ants are also the ‘pharaoh’ or ‘pavement ants’,. This name is due to their liking for sweet foods. Just like any other ant, sugar ants are known to live in colonies.
Sugar ants are known for construction of very small nests.sugar ants prefer habitats that are warm and dark, for instance, between wall and under floorboards. sugar ants are a health hazard. This is because they can move from unclean places like bathrooms to kitchen cabinets where they can spread diseases. Moreover sugar ants even construct their nests inside food.
Prevention of sugar ants
As it’s always put, prevention is always better than cure. So to effectively control sugar ants one should first prevent them from infesting your home. Cleanliness is the most effective weapon for sugar ant control. This can be done in the following ways:
- First, one should always make sure that kitchen is clean each and every night. Before going to bed rest ensure that the sinks and counter tops are effectively cleaned. This can be done by use of vim or bleach One should make sure that all dishes are cleaned after meals since they are an attraction to sugar ants.
- Floors should also be sweep food spills after meals so as to starve sugar ants from any food source.
- Daily moping of your dining area and kitchen will also keep them at bay since this eliminates their pheromone trail that attracts other ants.
- If your dining room is carpeted, vacuuming should always be carried out after each and every meal so as to get read of any food crumbs that may attract the sugar ants.
- Lastly one should always empty the trash at least daily so as to eliminate what might become the food source for the sugar ants.
Through proper following of the above simple techniques, sugar ants will be kept in check.
WAYS TO GET RID OF SUGAR ANTS
- Elimination of sugar ants is quite easy.boric Use of ant baits is the most effective method. Sweet bait are recommended in such instances. The baits contains boric acid which is non toxic to humans, but then if ingested it might pose some danger. Its therefore not very effective especially in cases where you have small kids and pets. The boric acid contains some chemicals that lure the sugar ants to consume it. After consumption it takes with it part of it to the other members of the colony. This way the whole colony of sugar ants gets killed.
Natural methods can also be employed as this method will be safe for both small kids and pets:
- One is the use of vinegar to clean surfaces like sinks and counter tops. Vinegar contains a very strong odor that repels the sugar ants hence this will keep them at bay from your kitchen. Vinegar contains acetic acid that works just like bleaching agents hence no need for them.
- Another natural method is the use of cloves. It contains a pungent smell that usually confuses the sense of sugar ants hence it deters them. The cloves can be placed along windows and under baseboards.
- Lastly is the use of boiled water. One should trace the pheromone trail of the sugar ants so as to locate their nests. One you have established their nest location; pour the h
ot water into the nest.this way all the sugar ants will get killed.