Bed bugs infestations are commonly from homes and schools. They are mainly transferred in student’s possessions, mostly beddings. They can also be carried by anyone as these don’t discriminate age. Bed bugs treatment though achievable can be difficult and costly. However, the sooner the infestation is detected the easier to control.
Appearance of bed bugs
Adult bed bugs are oval flattened brown and wingless insects, approximately five to nine millimeter long. After feeding bedbugs change their colour from brown to purplish red
Common bed bugs biting places
Bed bugs feed two –five minutes until full then move to hiding. The most common target spots on the body include;
- Head and neck
- hands and legs.
How to detect bed bugs
The best way is to check where you sleep or rest. Their hiding places in students cubes are:
- On and around box springs,
- Mattresses and buttons of mattresses,
- bed frames
They can also be found in furniture’s such as desks and chairs
Effects of bed bugs
Different people react differently to bed bugs bite. Some are not affected by bed bugs bite while others have severe allergic reactions Some of the effects of bed bugs are:
- Rashes on skins and limbs depending on the student’s immune response.
- Visible marks and itchiness which may make the student uncomfortable
- Sleepiness during class-time due to bed bugs bites during rest
Measures to control bedbugs
1. In student belongings
- Providing plastic bags or bins to store their belongings
- Isolations of belongings so as to prevent those infested from transferring of bedbugs to others
- Reduce the number of items transported from home to school and vice versa by a students
- Regular self and authorities inspection of common problem areas for bedbugs
- Avoid accumulation of students belongings in one place
2. In school
- Educating members of school communities on bed bugs control procedures. This can be done by provision of materials to staff and parents
- Ensure all school facilities are clean and uncluttered. This will facilitate easy identification of bed bugs before the infestation gets established. This can be achieved by: regular cleaning of lost and found items, sleeping areas such as dormitories, wall mounted items such as watches and pictures
- Where possible, storing items such as bedding and clothing in clear plastic containers will also help achieve this bed bug control.
Significant methods in the control of bedbugs
The most significant action in the control of bedbugs is the seeking of assistance from a professional in a pest control company. Depending on level of infestation, it may involve moving and disassembly of furniture and specialist equipment. For effectiveness, it requires careful inspection in conjunction with an appropriate action plan. Choices range from chemical to non-chemical solutions. This methods include: heat treatments, vacuuming and steam treatments. In addition to that there is insecticide treatment which is a chemical method
- Heat treatment
This is done by use of specialized equipments in the infested areas. The equipments raise temperature to about 48 degrees Celsius. This controls bed bugs effectively at all stages when properly done. In some minor cases, using of sun light may be helpful in destroying eggs.
Use of insecticides is another significant method in the control of bed bugs. However, most of the over the counter insecticides are not effective in controlling bed bugs. It’s therefore advisable to seek the assistance of a professional pest controller. However if need be to do it by yourself, one should carefully read and understand the label before using and follow all the label instructions Other methods include vacuuming of bed bug infested areas and laundering in hot water